Saturday, May 29, 2010

Reflection: Exploring Heat Transfer Inquiry

Thermal properties and heat transmission can be complex for some to master. Providing students with hands-on activities where they self-select materials to investigate heat and temperature concepts such as insulation, convection, and conduction grants them opportunities to discover and make connections of science with mathematics, engineering, and technology.

This week’s inquiry granted me an opportunity to self-select four materials that I believe to be solid insulators or may lose heat quickly. I selected aluminum foil, plastic, layered oven mitt, and a small sheet of glass. I hypothesized the tin foil, glass, and the layered oven mitt would be the best insulators and the plastic would lose heat the fastest. I used four simple thermometers (identical as the one found in Walden’s science kit) from my classroom. The reason for the additional thermometers would be to gauge each temperature simultaneously, as opposed to measuring the temperature of each cup one at a time. I considered the additional loss of heat which may occur with the passing of time using one thermometer.

Creating a chart to collect the data of the temperatures for each variable followed. Noting the initial temperature after the mugs were covered for thirty minutes, I followed with the monitoring temperatures of the water after the selected insulators were removed (15 minutes after and 30 minutes after). Although the inquiry was exploring insulators, I know my students would want to continue to investigate the temperature once the insulators were removed.

I followed the experiment exactly as written. Four mugs were placed in a row on an even surface and each received three-fourths cup hot water. The top of each mug were covered and secured with the respective materials (aluminum foil, glass, layered oven mitt, and plastic) for a period of thirty minutes. After the thirty minute time elapsed, I removed each of the cover materials from the mugs. The initial temperature for all four read 118 degrees Fahrenheit. My results were not what I expected. With each mug receiving identical temperature readings I believed there may have been an error in my procedures. I repeated the experiment a second time only to receive identical results as the first. Since all objects were exposed to the same ambient conditions (temperature of the water and temperature of the room) and each object was secured to the top of the mug, my results indicate all four materials appear to be good insulators. No detectable transfer of heat energy resulted during my experiment.

This was an excellent example of what may happen in the classroom. After students have been engaged and explore the inquiry they question results and rethink their procedures. This is an opportune time to elaborate and grant students another learning opportunity to revise and retest. “Science must be based on hands-on discovery learning involving practical experiments, personal observations, and an opportunity to collaboratively construct meaning. (Buxton & Provenzo, 2007).

Furthermore, I believe this inquiry would be useful in determining the intuitive ideas students have about temperature and everyday objects. “We need to give students the opportunity to experience science before we start explaining science.” (Gerlach, 2010). Through this inquiry students would recognize that non-heat-producing objects exposed to the same conditions will have the same temperatures, regardless of the material they are made of; anything blocking the flow of heat provides insulation. This inquiry would involve students in “explorations which promotes active learning, connections to real-world situations, and the development of scientific-process skills and habits of mind.” (Glen, 2010).

There are several activities I found to further engage my students and connect to literature. Jan Brett’s, The Mitten, (1989) came to mind. Page Keeley created a formative assessment probe, The Mitten Problem, (2005) with the purpose of eliciting students’ ideas and understanding of heat energy. As I researched further, I realized these two go hand in hand (no pun intended). Beginning this science concept with literature, as did Buczinski, is an excellent means to bring the class together and discuss a small piece of what will be a large puzzle. Keeley’s assessment would grant me great insight into my student’s background knowledge on the relationship of heat energy and temperature. Keeley offers additional resources and article to further extend this concept as well.

What I would like my students to take away from this experiment (concept) is to determine a means to make global connections exploring heat transfer. What connections exist between global warming and the transfer of heat? These answers are unknown to me. This I do know: a significant open inquiry has emerged, where the teacher and students cooperatively collaborate to generate hypotheses, procedures, and experiments via year-long research, implementing math, science, technology, engineering, and pure ingenuity.

References:
Buxton, C. A. & Provenzo, E.F., Jr. (2007) Teaching science in elementary & middle school: A cognitive and cultural approach. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications

Gerlach, J.W. (2010, March). Elementary Design Challenges. Science and Children, 47, 43-47.

Glen, N.J. (2010, April/May). Dress for the Weather. Science and Children, 47, 32-35.

Keeley, P., Eberle, F., & Farrin, L. (2005). Uncovering Student Ideas in Science 25 Formative Assessment Probes. Arlington, VA: NSTApress.

No comments:

Post a Comment