Sunday, March 14, 2010

Reflection: STEM Strategies Lesson Plan

I found the planning process for this week’s lesson frustrating. The resources this week were, for the most part, engaging, yet offered little to complete this assignment. I take great strides while creating units and lesson plans. They are extensive, with elaborate detail provided for my students’ diversity, acknowledging the big ideas/standards/benchmarks for each subject area, the instructional methods and transitioning, instructional materials, and step-by-step procedures. You get the picture.

For some reason the STEM strategies lesson planning caused much frustration, followed by an insurmountable tossing and turning last night. Spending nine hours on one lesson plan isn’t the cause of my angst, no; it was how I personally felt the resources this week provided little to no connection with the expectations of this assignment. So much so, that I changed the focus on my lesson several times. I have never felt so apprehensive submitting an assignment as I did yesterday.

The lesson I finally came to terms with submitting, focuses on content my students are currently learning, force and motion. Having researched Newton, Galileo, and others, I realized this would be a natural fit. Conceptually it was; trying to put this into the format provided wasn’t as agreeable. I’ve never felt so uncomfortable trying to put something which flowed so easily into a format where it didn’t seem to belong. Lesson plan formats from previous coursework provided resources, time and logical means of implementation; this one did not.

Acknowledging the standards from NSES, NSTA, Project2061, and those of Florida, was not difficult. Although subtle discrepancies exist between the organizations’ standards above, I found most of the correlations flowed with one another. As I look back on the format of this lesson plan I realized my decision not to incorporate the NBPTS standards may be a costly error on my part. It was purposeful; again, there was no mention of these in this week’s resources, which is why I choose not to address them.

The 5E’s Strategy (2006) is one I am very familiar with. My school has held several staff developments focusing on strengthening inquiry and active learning through critical thinking. This strategy requires connections to be made while planning for instruction with careful consideration being given to a diverse population of students. Due to the increase in both cognitive and strategic thinking, my below level students’ understanding will be scaffolded from peer discussions and questioning during this lesson. As students reflect on their understanding they will cite evidence from observations extend their thinking. The collaboration is an excellent means in generating a new hypotheses and incorporating the hierarchy of Bloom’s Taxonomy. The extension activities (Elaboration) will utilize Gardner’s Multiple Intelligences and students’ learning styles. I believe the 5E’s strategy allows for flexibility in planning, which enabled me to incorporate tiered lessons via a student’s readiness level, learning style/preferences, or student interests.

I will initiate this lesson plan, as well as, the extension activities I prepared to follow specifically because it is a continuum of content recently learned. Practical issues that need addressing are to ensure I am meeting the needs of my students through heterogeneous learning teams. Am I granting my below level and ELL students opportunities to engage in science and hold discussions to enhance both academic and social English? Am I challenging my above level students opportunities to extend their thinking? These issues will be addressed as I circulate, observe, listen to students’ discussions, and review their reflective journal writing.

Although the means of planning this way required a tremendous amount of thought and time, it is not the effort placed into the assignment which concerns me. It is the feeling of great discomfort I currently hold relative to the final result of my paper. I entered this week with the expectancy of receiving resources/materials that would grant me knowledge and confidence to effectively complete the assignment. Reflecting on this once again, I am disappointed with the end result and my confidence level continues to wane.

With that being said: if a picture is worth a thousand words, then the one located on my blog sums up my current feelings: I’m looking for a place to reflect and find peace following this assignment, yet feel like I have gone off into the deep end.

References:
Buxton, C.A. & Provenzo, E.F., Jr. (2007). Teaching Science in Elementary & Middle School: A Cognitive and Cultural Approach. Thousands Oaks, CA: Sage Publications

Hammerman, E.L. (2006). Becoming a Better Science Teacher: 8 Steps to High Quality Instruction and Student Achievement. Thousand Oaks, CA:Sage Publications

2 comments:

  1. I think I took that dive off the deep end right along with you, Jill!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donnaleigh,
    I sincerely appreciate your company because I don't know if I am sinking or swimming!

    ReplyDelete